Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Let's Just Guess

I saw a neurologist yesterday. I'm now on two meds that alter brain chemistry. The ringing in my ears is definitely not as loud or as biting. The headache is still there but the doc says it can take up to two weeks before I notice that change. It's not as severe as it was originally though.

He didn't want to do a lumbar puncture test because every other diagnostic test I've had done has come up negative. He doesn't know what has caused the problem but thinks that because all of the symptoms have been getting progressively better over time, if the symptoms are treated then I'll just get better on my own and the meds can be stopped. I have a follow up appointment in a month and if I'm not significantly better, he'll do the tap. It's not fun.

There are certain signs that tell you that you're rapidly aging. One is that your health starts to fall apart, and the other is that the doctors are younger than you are. This neurologist looked about 30, but is obviously the brainy type. He's one of those US born to Indian immigrants that went to expensive US schools and such types.

So this is how he explained neurology. If diagnostic testing indicates a known disease, it can be treated. If not, it's comes down to a voodoo witch doctor's attempt to mitigate the severity of the illness. I don't show any classic symptoms of something like meningitis and such.

He did tell me that he's had other patients that have had a weird set of symptoms and they simply get better on their own. He assures me that will be what happens. I guess we shall see.

Being sick sucks when you don't know what it is causing it, and it just drags on and on. It's worse when the person you live with is ill also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to know how you are doing. Seeing any improvements yet?