Wednesday, September 08, 2010

The Eyes Have It

Saw the eye doctor again today. The pressure in my eyes is elevated, especially my right eye, so they've taken me off the prednisone and started me on a med to lower the pressure in my right eye. My right eye is still near sighted, but they gave me a pair of loaner glasses to use outside the house.

The plan is still to allow my eyes to settle to where they're going to end up after I finish he course of meds, getting them in a stable condition where they can evaluate what other procedures they are going to do to dial in the vision. It looks like I'm going to need a touch of LASIK in my left eye as well as my right.. which is quite okay. I had LASIK about 10 years ago, and additional laser treatment might actually improve things as the lasers are improved over those used 10 years ago, and will leave a smoother surface on my cornea.

I need to go back on Friday to get the pressure checked again. The doctor said it would be highly unlikely my eye doesn't respond to the Xalatan, but she said she didn't want me to turn into one of those "teachable moments" for other doctors.. i.e., ending up as a test case in a medical book. I agreed that was a sensible course of treatment.

I drove home with the glasses on, and while there is always that disconcerting feeling when you have new lenses, it did seem quite a bit better than without. That bodes well for future improvement. I'm curious to see how my night vision is with the glasses. It's really bad right now.

No comments: