Wednesday, September 08, 2010

The Humane Society





I really really dislike the commercials on tv, showing us abandoned pets, and starving Ethiopians... not because I'm callous about it, but because I don't like being reminded of it all the time when there's not much more I can personally do about it.

In a post today, Greenwald mentioned today the impact the current economic conditions in the US has caused for animal shelters around the nation. Obviously the situation is not very good at all.

At the risk of sounding like a conservative whack-job - a lot of it does have to do with personal responsibility. It doesn't cost that much to feed a dog, and take care of it. The problem is that a lot of people are assholes and want a dog or a cat just because they think it would be "fun" to have, but have no idea that having one is like having a kid. You are responsible for it. You have to do what you have to do to treat it like any other member of the family - and that does not mean you just drop it off at a shelter when it's not something you want to deal with anymore.

Unfortunately, the problem is the human beings and not the dogs and cats. People are irresponsible assholes, and that leaves the rest of us to pick up the slack... and we have to.

The picture is the first one taken of Riley when we picked him up. He was, I think, 8 weeks old at the time. The reason why we got a pure bred dog is because I'm allergic to cats and dogs, and the Wheaten is hypoallergenic. We're helping with the homeless pet problem by hosting a foster dog. We got a bischon frise because they are hypoallergenic as well.

I get that people can't always host a foster dog, but they can donate money to the Humane Society. Click the link and donate some money. Just do it.

I can't fathom people abandoning a pet. I can't fathom not having a pet spayed or neutered, and getting the proper shots for the pet. I am completely disgusted with humanity in general.. not just because of the dog and cat problem.. but economic issues and endless wars. People are stupid fucking assholes, and the rest of us are forced to fix their fucking fuckups..

There are a lot of people helping out with fostering, adopting, and giving financial support. It seems to me that exceptionally wealthy people could solve the entire problem over-night, but for some reason it just doesn't happen.

Oh.. and I sent $100 donation in to the Humane Society. Anyone else match that or beat it?

/update

John reminds me that you can also donate to Smallpaws Rescue.. which is the organization we got Token, the bichon from.

I highly reccomend that instead of donating to political candidates this year.. give to rescue organizations and the Humane Society.

No comments: