Monday, August 30, 2010

Quote of the Day

I don't know about you, but it seems to me that if you want to get people enthusiastic you might want to pick a big old fight right about now instead of trying desperately to avoid controversy (also known as "kerfuffles".) In case the Democrats don't realize it, Republicans and right leaning Independents aren't going to vote for them no matter what they do. Even if they open up those FEMA camps and start rounding up every Muslim and Mexican looking person they see, it won't work. Neither will rolling over and playing dead. - Digby

Here's an alternative scenario. Obama knows he's done, and all he wants to do is sit in the Oval Office, or go play golf. Having a Republican Congress will make it easier for him to blame the Republicans, rather than have people simply point at him and call him an awful President.

What's really going to suck, is if he gets re-elected - which, you know, would be another 4 years of really shitty politics. It'll be okay from a spectator point of view, but bad for the country... really really bad.

And while I'm thinking about it.. I read something else from Digby about Social Security, and I hadn't considered that it's quite possible that I end up at retirement age with nothing in the bank. Nobody knows what can happen, and while we're doing okay now, who the fuck knows.... right?

Right now there is a concerted effort to fuck up Social Security. I'm 44 years old, and while they may manage to have a sliver of it left over for people my age, I think you 20 somethings are not going to have any safety net at all. I wouldn't be surprised if President Palin and the Republicans figure out a way to destroy Medicare as well.

What I don't understand is that it doesn't seem like anybody (beyond the hard core liberal blogger types) give a shit about it. The Hope and Change President is bound and determined to start cutting back on Social Security benefits. That's obvious.

Why that's even being considered is shocking to me.

No comments: