Tuesday, February 03, 2009

In Mythology We Trust?

MSNBC has a poll that asks;

Should the motto "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?

Yes. It's a violation of the principle of separation of church and state.

No. The motto has historical and patriotic significance and does nothing to establish a state religion.
I don't think you even need to argue the establishment clause to remove the phrase. Argue, tradition instead.

The phrase didn't even make it onto our paper money until 1958, due to a rise in religious extremism in the United States.

I think.. go back to the way the founders wanted it.. without the references to fairy tales.

I want one of these;

On March 7, 2007, the U.S Mint reported an unknown amount of new George Washington dollar coins mistakenly struck without the edge inscriptions, including "In God We Trust." These coins have been in circulation since February 15, 2007 and it has been estimated by some experts that at least 50,000 of them were put in circulation. The coin rapidly became a collector's item as well as a source for conspiracy theorists.

No comments: