Thursday, April 17, 2008

Asshat Quote of the Day

"I know I will be cut off from many within the Christian community, and if so, then they didn’t get the point of the life of Christ. I believe by me living my life honestly and authentically now, I am able to be a better person and a better Christian. We all know there are so many other gay people in the Christian industry; they’re just all scared. I was scared, but now I’m no longer afraid," - Azariah Southworth, host of the popular Christian youth TV show, The Remix.
I've pulled this over from Sullivan's blog... and I'm going to repeat a point I often make.

I don't understand why a gay man would have any association what-so-ever with these evangelical groups in the first place. He was closeted before.. playing the Jesus game.. and destroying his own dignity. Now.. somehow, he has found a shred of his own dignity, but is bemoaning the inevitable backlash from those that were previously his peers?

Again, this has nothing to do with God.. or even Jesus.. but everything to do with Christianity. When a gay person does a single fucking thing with, or for them, they are validating their own inferiority in the bigots eyes. They are demeaning their own human dignity.

It is like belonging to the Jews for Hitler club.. just with less ovens.. but ONLY because ovens aren't socially acceptable in our society right now.

I will not do a single thing to help most Christians... the vast majority. I do not count them among my friends.. I encourage all my family to hop off the Jesus train.

I wouldn't even lift a single finger to help Jennifer in any way.. and I know that sounds harsh.. because even she has said that she does not believe that gay people should be able to marry. Sure.. some people think that all the legal rights is fine.. but somehow the word "marriage" is not supposed to apply to me and millions of other people who are in relationships that are indistinguishable from "straight" people's marriages.

That demeans my human dignity.. and I will not offer a single shred of my being to anyone who does not think me worthy of the same human dignity due everyone else.

This affront to human dignity is a central theme to Christianity.. and to all religions actually.

There are a lot of gay people.. and Sullivan is one.. that believes the way to change people's mind.. to change religion.. is to make a persuasive argument and interact with them to bring about a change of heart. Let's say.. it's like being a Log Cabin Republican.. the LCR boys know that their party thinks them "sick" and such.. and less than fully human.. but they think they can change the thinking.. and change the party.

I think that working in that manner is undignified and dishonorable. I won't ask anyone for full rights.. for full recognition.. for full and unequivocal human dignity. Anyone who would deny that has the problem.. not me...

Ultimately, the views expressed by people like Jennifer are destructive.. actively harmful to me and people like me.. and I will not enable that.. I will not encourage that.. I will not be kind to people like that... and I realize that my view may make those people resentful, and less likely to see things my way.. but I don't care. I'm not the nice nigger.. I'm the angry nigger, and I'm not going to ask you nicely to treat me the same as everyone else.

I'm going to hate you for what your way of thinking has done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[I wouldn't even lift a single finger to help Jennifer in any way.. and I know that sounds harsh.. because even she has said that she does not believe that gay people should be able to marry. Sure.. some people think that all the legal rights is fine.. but somehow the word "marriage" is not supposed to apply to me and millions of other people who are in relationships that are indistinguishable from "straight" people's marriages.]



Not liked I asked for your help or anything, but I'm glad to know where you stand.

So let me get this straight. You are this pissed because my definition of marriage doesn't include gays? I've suddenly become the bad guy here? It's not enough to want equal rights for you. I have to also agree with the issue of being gay too?

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you because frankly, I have more important things taking up my time at the moment, but I will say this. You are right when you say your views will make people resentful. It's ironic that you hate us "extreme Christians" but you can be an extreme liberal all you want and that somehow makes you better? More noble? You criticize religion and badmouth it till your blue in the face, but you still expect respect for "you or those like you?" A bit hypocritical don't you think. Or should tolerance only apply to you?

It's "harmful" (to use your words) to alienate people that stick up for your rights, actually, down right stupid in my opinion. Anything I ever thought to learn from you has been destroyed by your anger.

How exactly are my views destructive? What has my way of thinking done?

Your anger and bitterness hurt "your cause" more than my definition of marriage ever could. You once said I was a liberal, but you obviously couldn't be more wrong. Damn, it never felt so good to be a Conservative. Have a blast with this comment, I'm sure you will!

Anonymous said...

I know I said I wasn't going to argue but I went back and read a comment you made. Your opinions completely differ from what you say here.








{"Marriage" is just a term.. and I really don't care about terms. They are meaningless. What matter is what they represent.}

{There is not religious marriage in American law. It's all civil law - and it has nothing to do with religion. Each particular religion is more than welcome to define it they way they like.. }

{Everyone should be governed by the the same law.. and what you call it is irrelevant.}

You make quite a point that they are only words, but in this point you completely contradict yourself.

All right, now I am really done!