Thursday, May 26, 2005

Bigotry



It's hard to fathom the depths to which I despise Republicans and evangelical Christians. Actually.. let me expand that to include anyone who supports Texas recent (last Monday) legislation discriminating against gay people.

And to be clear, the law does not apply just to "marriage". It also applies to any domestic partnerships, powers of attorney (including medical), hospital visitation, and joint ownership (such as a home).

Already I've heard from people trying to get a joint mortgage that the mortgage brokers are balking at allowing it. It's really hard to fathom that.

I just want everyone to understand that this legislation was not intended to "protect" marriage per se, because that was already illegal in Texas. The legislation is intended to punish people for being gay, and make life as hard as possible on them. It strips every basic human dignity that gay people in a relationship can have.

It is one of the most vile things I've ever seen in my life. I've sat here a while to try and formulate what my "response" should be, or gays as a group, or the larger liberal/progressive group.

For me - just me personally - everything short of violence is on the table.

I suspect there will be lawsuits. After all, the legislation is similar to other anti-gay legislation in other states, where the legislators were too stupid to understand that the law affects - any - unmarried couple, whether straight or gay. It nullifies existing contracts, and clearly violates the equal protection clause.

Ultimately, the whole issue is going to have to be settled by the US Supreme Court, and I'm confident which way that's going to go. It's rather difficult to make a rational argument in support of the vile bigotry.

Still.. I have no "live and live" attitude towards the supporters of that legislation. I have only extreme hatred for them, which is only response in kind.

That may sound a bit harsh, but just keep in mind, gay people are not asking for any special favors from them. We're just asking to be left alone and treated like anyone else. Their intent is clear - harm gays as much as you possibly can without going to jail.

One of the legislators (a black woman from Houston) gave an impassioned speech prior to the vote, the entirety of is here. Go read it.

"Now that blacks and women have equal rights, you turn your hatred to homosexuals, and you still use your misguided reading of the Bible to justify your hatred."
Christians are some of the most bigoted and hateful people in the world. They are exactly like the in-fucking-sane Muslims. They think they are different. They think they worship the "right" god, and everyone else is wrong. But the truth is - they represent the very worst in humanity.

Hate sells for the stupid people - and as I mention often, this country is getting hit with a mighty stupid bat.

And unless you've been part of a group that is being hated by a larger majority group that dictates what you can and cannot do, you have no idea how it feels.

The number of states in the United States that are now doing this is 19. And I get to live in one of them.

No comments: