Sunday, October 02, 2011

Gorak Welcomes




The man who was the Beatles principle photographer has died. I don't know anything about him, but I assume that anyone associated with the Beatles was a good person.

The ablum cover from Yesterday and Today is called the "butcher block cover". It's probably the most valuable of the Beatles memorabilia. My sister had one, and it was actually the stereo version. It came with another cover glued on top, but word had gotten out that if you used steam from an iron, you could peel the new cover off.

I think she might still have it. She used to collect albums and 45s, and I grew up getting into her collection and listening to them. I decided what to listen to by the cover of the album or the sleeve of the 45. I listen to an enormous amount of music growing up.

Now, I have a great deal of it sitting on a hard drive in my computer.

Music is dead from that point of view. What you hear now is a tiny sliver of the way music used to be. For the most part, contemporary music sucks ass, and the destruction of the music business model will lead to even fewer good songs in the future.

That's not a bad thing necessarily. Good musicians can still make a living, and good songs will still turn a profit. It's just so much different than when I was younger.

No comments: