Thursday, March 04, 2010

Wierd Things Loons Believe

The new Loon I've been sort of "debating" with had a peculiar idea about a flat tax. He actually thinks the wealthy pay too much in taxes and their share of the burden should be reduced, and everyone elses' taxes go up. Doug has expressed a fondness for that idea as well. After all, despite the current tax rates on the wealthiest Americans being at historical lows, they actually believe (and I'm totally not making this up) that the current tax code "punishes success".

What's wrong with the wealthy's taxes dropping? Is it somehow unfair that they are wealthy? Is it fair to take more from them because they have been creative enough, successful enough and energetic enough to earn more than me?

I know it's a common theme here, but I just cannot wrap my head around why these types of people advocate for policies that are not in their own best interest. The worship the cult of authority and appear to be more concerned about the well being of wealthy people than their own.. from a financial point of view.

I think it's just a bunch of words though.. If you actually lowered Bill Gates' tax burden and raised theirs, they'd probably regret having asked for it. I suggest the government do just that.

It took me a while to find the original post where I did the analysis on the tax data. I'm not an economist by far, but the numbers are what they are. The Loon accuses me of using "bad math". He uses no math.

Pretty typical of a Liberal vs. Conservative debate in my opinion.

No comments: