AUSTIN, Texas – A man who died in prison while serving time for a rape he didn't commit was cleared Friday by a judge who called the state's first posthumous DNA exoneration "the saddest case" he'd ever seen.
State District Judge Charles Baird ordered Timothy Cole's record expunged.
Cole was convicted of raping a Texas Tech University student in Lubbock in 1985 and was sentenced to 25 years in prison. He died in 1999 at age 39 from asthma complications.
DNA tests in 2008 connected the crime to Jerry Wayne Johnson, who is serving life in prison for separate rapes. Johnson testified in court Friday that he was the rapist in Cole's case and asked the victim and Cole's family to forgive him.
Criminal "justice" in Texas is a joke.. a very sad joke of a bunch of red neck Jesus freaks, incompetent and corrupt. The health care for prisoners is the lowest priority, and simply letting them die solves a lot of problems.
And Texas leads the nation in executing people.. which the Jesus freaks of this nation approve of. I'm not going to bother looking it up, but I'm pretty sure only a few nations on this planet execute more people than the state of Texas.
In many respects.. Texas is a very beautiful state.. of wonderful natural resources. The problem is.. the people.. Don't get me wrong.. there's some really terrific people here.. but the majority are awful.. ignorant.. stupid.. superstitious.. blood thirsty, evil.
The problem with the freaks, is that they have zero empathy.
When I think of a man wrongly convicted.. left to die in a Texas hell hole.. I think that it might be me next, or I think that it might have been me instead. The Jesus freaks just think that's a small price to pay to make sure the evil doers get what's coming to them.
The change.. the progress.. the humanity.. the "values".. can only be achieved when organized religion is destroyed.
2 comments:
The fact that somone can be convicted of rape based solely on victim testimony is kind of chilling tbh.
I'm not sure when they started DNA testing on a regular basis, but I suspect that a very large number of people have been convicted of sex related crimes in error. I don't think it is as common now.
Still.. it's very difficult to for current prisoners to get access to DNA testing, and often the original samples are missing or useless.
I also agree that convictions based on just the victims testimony is suspect. A lot of women are crazy, and might have concensual sex and then cry rape.
In my view, there needs to be convincing evidence beyond just a DNA sample and an accusation. In real-world practice, I doubt that happens much.
I've sat on a couple of juries in the past.. one as a foreman.. and it's not surprising that the basic stupidity of the general public is represented in a jury. One of the cases I served on, there were a couple of people who were incapable of critical thinking.. were entirely emotionally biased, and it took me a while to beat them down.. but I did.
They don't let you go until you get a unanimous verdict.. and I simply dominated them until they gave up.
Post a Comment