Thursday, May 26, 2005

Slate me baby

I thought I'd google my blog to see if I'm referenced anyplace, and sure enough... I've been quoted by Slate Magazine.

"Seriously, set aside a little time and read the whole thing." writes moderate liberal Jack O'Toole. At the Washington Monthly, liberal Kevin Drum says these new violations aren't " 'close calls' and not 'gray areas,' either, but routine, horrific treatment." At Tom's Irrelevant Musings, the progressive Texan agrees the new revelations are enormously important—and dangerous. "If the Times story gets circulated, you'll see far more riots then what the Newsweek story supposedly caused," he warns.
So how's that? Me quoting a magazine, quoting me.. How amusing.

But - in that same post, I dropped plenty of F bombs, and basically went on a tirade about Joe American. After I finished reading it, I knew it was poorly structured and awkward, but I didn't have much time or inclination to fix it up.. and that's the one that ends up in a magazine. Go figure...

Meanwhile, I wrote a big post (1600 words) about Microsoft, and I think I'm talking to myself sometimes. Or maybe I'm stating the obvious. I don't know..

But, of course, I thought the "revelations" were important - yet entirely under reported in the grand scheme of things. The media makes me crazy the way they package the sensational - immediate gratification news. They have no interest in following it though to it's logical conclusion. The mainstream media today merely visits hookers to get it's fix, instead of the long term commitment of a loving and caring, but most of all newsworthy story.

It was apparent that the big story was not about abuse, but about a large media organization possibly getting the story wrong. Does anybody see what's wrong with this picture?

We were not concerned about American interrogators disrespecting religious symbols, thus furthering negative opinion of Americans. The story is not about that poor man that was chained to a ceiling and left to die. The story is about the method of the news coverage, as if it is an example that proves the right wing's contention that the media is liberal.

I find that absurd on it's face.

Oh.. and if a media person is reading this.. quote from "But, of course" through "I find that absurd"... I think that's the meat of it.

1 comment:

John in Atlanta said...

OMG! Congratulations! When do I get my autograph? :-)