Sunday, September 26, 2010

Rush Rush




We're off to see Rush.. for like the 135th time, and probably the last time. I spent $700 for the tickets.. and not to a scalper, but regular ticket prices. Granted they are very very good seats.. but still. I'm not going to pay huge prices to see live acts anymore.

We're leaving early because the state fair of Texas is at the same area as the concert venue. We'll get a bite to eat and look at the car exhibit and such. The temperatures have finally cooled off, just in time. I've been at that arena when it's 95 outside, and it's not pleasant.

I'll have my contact lens in so it should look better than any show I've ever seen. And from the 3rd row no less.

I probably have said this every time I've posted about going to see a Rush show.. but the band had a huge impact on me when I was young. For John, his band was Fleetwood Mac, mostly because of Stevie Nicks. We went and saw them a few years back, and we had very good seats then... maybe 5 or 6 rows back. Stevie does a song where it's traditional for fans to push up against the stage and Stevie kneels down and touchs them. When the point in the song got near, there was a rush to the stage. John is a big guy. He mowed people down - it didn't matter who they were. I think I saw some old ladies being put on stretchers afterward. Stevie Nicks touched him, and it was a big moment.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm older now.. but it doesn't seem like young people today have their own Beatles.. or Rolling Stones.. or Rush. Is it Lady Gaga and Justine Beiber? That's a real shame.

I know there are a lot of contemporary bands doing significant work. I listen to some tremendous songs from them every day when I'm working out. It's just not the same.

The video is a fan rendition of an origional piece written by Alex Lifeson for acoustic guitar many years ago.

No comments: