Sunday, August 01, 2010

Quote of the Day

I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen. - Anne Rice

What struck me as odd is that Rice went in for the whole christianity thing in the first place. She's obviously very contemplative, and I don't get why she thought buying into the myth would be a positive thing for her. Perhaps she was influenced by the beatitudes version of Jesus, and the whole "divinity" thing didn't matter to her.

I read the entire vampire chronicles, and I thought it was great. There's a theme in the books that had a rather big influence on me, in a negative way. I'm thinking about writing a big philosophical style post about it at some point.

I haven't read a book in years. I'm starting to think that playing world of warcraft, even as little as I do now, is just a silly waste of time. Well, I know it's a waste of time, but what WoW does is instantly fill gaps when a person is bored, and so the idea of picking up a book doesn't really occur to me.

Maybe I should just try reading a book (now that I can see to read well) and see what happens. Anybody have a suggestion on something that would really suck me in?

Oh.. and speaking of seeing well.. my near and intermediate vision is really good. My distance vision is very bad. I'm concerned they got the power on the implant wrong. Will know more after my doc visit tomorrow after noon. My left eye is scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, but I don't want to do it if I'm going to be fundamentally blind beyond 3 feet.

5 comments:

Dan said...

Could it be the lens shifting/warping?

HBO is coming out with a series based on the books by George R R Martin. It's fantasy, but attempts to be accurate in its' portrayal of the middle ages.

Tom said...

I have more info on the eye, I'll make a new post.

Have a date on the HBO series? We're really out of teevee to watch, except for a few novelty shows.. like I have "The World's Most Expensive Rides" on the DVR.. about 10 episodes to catch up on. Fun show. John has a few of his reality type shows to watch, but besides True Blood.. there's nothing.

I'd watch some anime, but I put Netflix on hold so I can't stream them.. and there is no movies at Netflix to add to the queue. It's barren. I want to see inception, but after my vision is up to snuff.

Right now, it's really barren for movies.

Dan said...

Yeah, shitty movies abound. I don't know if HBO even has an exact date, but they've started filming and I remember it being sometime next spring/summer. That could change, but they've got almost all of the casting done and have the locations/sets built.

Tom said...

Oh that's a long way off then.

The only new show that's I've been enthused about is Spartacus. It's got some cheese, and some silly plot elements, but over all, a super good show. I'm really pleased that Andy is healthy and training to resume production.

I don't know.. if they're working on the prequel then I wouldn't expect new shows until next year.

I found a book to read that John's dad gave me called At Home in the Universe: The Search for the Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity. Basically is a mathmatical solution for how from an inert universe, we get life.

I read enough of PZ Myers to get the gist of it, so it might be fun to fill in some of the gaps with a long form read... although, I was thinking of just getting something fun to read as a first book after a long lay-off, rather than something more technical. But whatever.

Tom said...

Oh.. and the being able to read the book without reading glasses.. and in fact being able to see so well that I can see the fibers that make up the page, is pretty fucking awesome.